Saturday, April 09, 2005

Don't Worry, Be Happy...Dammit

A fellow blogger describes me as "a pessimistic and unhappy dude," yet cites my blog as one of her sites of interest. I am flattered by her recognition of the interesting qualities of my rants and, believe it or not, I am happy about her description of me.

I am happy that I am able to express my disgust, chagrin and, albeit infrequently, my pleasure. I am happy that I am able to voice my opinions unencumbered by political platform, religious dictum and social protocol that define the parameters of happiness for many of my earthmates. I am happy that I am not laden with the guilt that is lavished by the contrived constraints of said platforms, dicta and protocol. I am happy that I don’t fall lockstep into submission to an antilatitudinarian, mystical socio-political-religious catechism that, by its very nature, disallows happiness. I am happy that I can feel patriotism despite the contorted and distorted patriotism afflicting my fellow patriots. I am happy that I don’t require happiness, given the insurmountable unhappiness incurred in pursuit of that unachievable goal.

I’ll concede and throw myself at the mercy of the court on the pessimism charge, reconciled with the reality that my legal counsel is an incompetent, unhappy and pessimistic prick.